5 tablespoons extra-virgin coconut oil
1 brown onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, diced
3-inch piece ginger, chopped
2 teaspoons cumin
1 teaspoon thyme
1 teaspoon sage
1 teaspoon turmeric powder
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper or more to taste
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
6 cups water
1 red pepper, chopped into small cubes
4 tomatoes, chopped into bite size pieces
1½ cup quinoa
3 stalks celery, cut in ¼-inch slices
Juice of one lemon
1/2 cup cilantro
4 tablespoons fresh chopped cilantro to serve
2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
Serve with one sliced avocado and lime/lemon wedges
1. Heat the coconut oil in a large pot and add the onion, garlic and ginger. Sauté until golden brown (about 4 minutes). Add the cumin, thyme, sage and turmeric powder. Stir-fry for one minute more. Add cayenne pepper, salt, and black pepper. Stir-fry for another 2 minutes until the spices are fragrant.
2. Stir in the water, red pepper, tomatoes, quinoa, celery, and 1/2 cup cilantro. Bring to a boil over high heat then reduce to medium-low, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes.
3. Stir in the lemon juice, and cilantro and serve. Drizzle each bowl with 1/2 tablespoon olive oil and sprinkle with more salt or cayenne pepper to taste! Top with sliced avocado and lemon wedges.
1. Serve with Flat Bread
2. If you want a smoother, less chunky soup, puree the soup in a blender once cooked.
Per serving: Calories: 437 Total Fat: 10g Carbohydrate: 79g Dietary Fiber: 5g Protein: 8g
+ Good for Digestive Health
+ High in Protein
+ Increasing Energy
+ Immune Boosting
+ Good for depression
+ Calming, grounding and healing recipe
* Every single recipe on this website uses nature’s ingredients, only. Always choose organic, local and seasonal whenever possible.
This recipe was created by Liana Werner-Gray.
Photo thanks to Roxxe NYC Photography.